Spring VeggiesMarch 05, 2012
This is the perfect season for artichokes. Usually they start to come into season in March in North America. Artichokes are a unique vegetable and can be hard to figure out how to eat if you’ve never had anyone teach you. Here is a little step-by-step guide with pictures that I made to help you learn how to cook them, with your parents’ help.
1. With an adult’s supervision, cut the stalks off the artichokes so they stand up.
2. Put the artichokes in the sink and run water into them for a couple of minutes each to wash out any sand or dirt that might still be inside.
3. Place them in a pot, cover them with water, put lots of salt in the water to make them flavorful and cover them with a lid. Boil them for about 25-30 minutes with the lid on.
4. When they are ready to eat, use tongs to place them in a colander upside-down. This will help drain the water out of them.
5. To eat them, pluck off a leaf, and instead of biting it, just scrape the meat off the end with your two front teeth.
6. Once you get to the bottom of the artichoke, have an adult help you scrape off the “choke” with a butter or table knife. Then you can cut up the delicious heart, dip it in butter and eat it!